In the spirit of the many "Top Ten Things About (INSERT TOPIC HERE)", I decided to make my own, with perhaps a more positive spin. I love teaching 7th and 8th grade, and these are just ten of my favorite things about it...
Top Ten Best Things About Teaching Middle School...
1. Lessons often start off as an excellent discussion, and can quickly devolve into a kid shouting
“AVADA KEDAVRA” while using his pen as a wand.
2. They will laugh with you when you do something ridiculous, like suddenly lose the ability to talk 9th period.
3. They experience a wide range of emotions. Usually within a 30 second time period.
4. In the last month of school, eighth graders become mushy nostalgic love monsters.
5. PAJAMA day.
6. Sometimes they shock you with their incredible insight.
7. They feel a great need for justice, and will create petitions for almost ANYTHING, like free seating at lunch.
My usual response...
8. Just in between acting “too cool” and “awkward”, they just want an adult they can talk to.
9. They own their obsessions. OWN them. Want to see an argumentative? Just disagree with their favorite brand/music/tv show/book/celebrity/movie
10. They are just starting to find their way in the world, and you get to be a tiny part of it.