- Boys LOVE this book!
- This is good book for kids who come from an underprivileged background or are exposed to gangs or violence in their neighborhoods. They can relate to this book.
- This is a very realistic book for students. They can completely understand the cliques and division based on economic backgrounds.
- This book has great topics for debates in the classroom.
- The characterization in this book is fantastic.
- This book is not very long and does not end in a way that students usually find satisfying. While it is a tear jearker for most kids, they want to know more. The second book That was then, this is now features a completely different set of characters and hints at the first book.
Activities done for this book:
- Characterization sheet on the main characters in the book
- Interactive bulletin board
- Debate on major themes in the book
- Bookmarks for Chapters in the book that show: Summary, Important Passages, Connections, Reflections, Questions
- Final project: Book in a Box or TIME Magazine